As of June 1, 2016 SLEC is a Scent-Free Environment
We believe that there is an increasing concern of the harmful effects of being exposed to scents and fragrances.
Research shows that:
- Scented products contain harmful chemicals that can cause health problems, especially for those with lung-related diseases such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- There may be up to 4000 different chemicals that are used in making fragrances
- 17% of Canadians who suffer from migraine headaches, which can be triggered by scents
- People who are constantly exposed to chemicals in fragrances will increasingly become more sensitive to chemicals over time
- Some health problems include: headaches, dizziness, weakness or fatigue, upper respiratory symptoms, skin irritation, shortness of breath, nausea
- Even though a product is labelled as “unscented” or “fragrance free” they may still contain fragrances that are used to mask the smell of other ingredients
We would appreciate your cooperation in eliminating the use of any scented personal hygiene products such as after-shave, perfumes, colognes, creams, shampoos, scented detergents, etc. That way SLEC would support the health of all our clients, caregivers, staff, or anyone entering our building by becoming a Scent-Free environment. This letter is intended to give you enough notice because we are aware that you may have to buy new household and personal body products.
We thank you for your consideration in keeping SLEC a healthy place for all.